Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default HELP: making boards from a tree trunk

About ten years ago I cut down a "Silver Dollar" eucalyptus tree in my
front yard. I cut the trunk into rounds about 18" - 24" long, the
diameter ranged from 14" to maybe 20". I tried splitting them right
afterwards for firewood, but the stuff was tough as magic nails, and
didn't split at all. So I threw them in my sideyard and let them sit
since. The other day I noticed the rounds were covered with fungus
and looked weathered. "Lightbulb: spalted wood".

So I hauled a small round into my woodshop and tried to saw a flatsawn
board off to see all the pretty grain and stuff, using a bow saw with
a rough ripping blade (I got no other means). An hour later, I'd made
a cut maybe 1" deep into the end of the log. The sawdust looked like
it came from a fresh log, and the wood is still hard and tough. This
method isn't efficient, and that dog won't hunt.

Any better way to mill boards from these rounds? I have a light-duty
chain saw, but don't see that working either. I can't imagine a saw
mill would take such a small job, or that it would be economically
feasible.

Sacramento - Fairfeild area, CA

Thanks a heap,
Zz