Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Reasons for not using cedar in furniture

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 21:39:50 -0500, dgadams
wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:40:59 -0400, DanielMatt wrote:

clip...

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

I've used western red cedar for small boxes. The wood is very soft
and can be brittle. Due to the softness of the stuff I get, I
wouldn't use it in furniture. Your experience may vary. I note that
in the Pacific Northwest it's used in a lot of things.

D. G. Adams

A lot of outdoor furniture was made of cedar in years past.
We even had a "lawn swing" or "Glider" made of cedar on oak posts.
Basically just the seat slats were cedar.It splits easily and is soft
so not to be used where strength is critical.
My front porch, however, is ALL cedar.
Used to be a lot of house framing aroundhere was cedar. Now it's hard
to get good cedar in Canada - we ship all the good stuff to the US for
"rich yanks" to make their saunas etc!!!

We just ship it on to Japan!