bay area dave

Default Applying Stain

I had a hunch you were going to tell me you planed the wood. That's what I
thought would keep the grain from raising. I STILL need to get my butt in gear
and order the Veritas Low Angle Block Plane from Lee Valley.

BTW, even though the recoat is 2 hours, I didn't want to temp fate, so I waited
about 5 1/2 - 6 hours to apply the sealer coat on the floor. Not that it
wouldn't have been ok in 2 hours, but I didn't want you to get the idea that I
am endorsing pushing the limits.

dave

Leon wrote:

"bay area dave" wrote in message
Leon,

IIRC, the cost is similar to DriFast.(not Fastdry g)
I got the DriFast at the local Bonakemi wholesaler. There are 2 in SJ.

If you
really want to try it, check their web site for wholesalers in your area.

I'm surprised to hear you got no raised grain with the water based stain.

Even
though I've never used it, I always read about how it will raise the

grain. Did
you prep with 150 grit before staining?

Actually because I was not concerned with smoothness I applied the stain
directly to the fresh planed wood. That is probably why the grain did not
raise much. Sanding scratches and tares the wood fibers. Since I actually
cut the finish surface there was a minimum of tears to raise up.... I
guess. I did do a search for the product and there are a couple of places
in Houston that sell it. Thanks.