Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Sprinkler System Problem

On May 6, 6:21*pm, BobR wrote:
Moved into an older home a couple years ago with an existing sprinkler
system. *It has never worked correctly and I am trying to get the
system back into shape. *Just replaced the backflow valves and got the
system to partially work but can not leave the water and the timer
on. *It appears that one of the valves is stuck open or partially open
which allows one of the stations to run even when the station is off.
I know that I need to replace the station valve but I can't find the
damn thing.

The system has five stations and I have only been able to locate the
controls for three of the stations. *All five have been buried and
there is no plot of where to locate them. *The three that I have
located were in different areas and not near the areas being
serviced. *I can only guess as to where the remaining two are. *I am
on a large cul-d-sac lot with the sprinkler covering the entire lot.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can find the remaining two
valves without destroying the entire yard in the process? *I found the
third valve when digging up and replacing one of the flower beds. *Oh
yes, the damn power cord for the system is also buried under the
patio.

PS: *Had the same problems with the sewer clean out and the main water
line coming into the house. *Paid a very high price for the plumber to
find those under emergency conditions.

Call local sprinkler companies to see if any installed it and have a
blueprint, mine did, the locator idea is good and metal detectors can
work if the layout was easy, but often they are not.