Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
VWWall[_2_] VWWall[_2_] is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

wrote:

W_ denies MOVs are commonly used in typical electonics or modern
appliances too. He had to, because he can't answer the obvious
question of how MOVs can be used effectively in these applications,
yet they can't work in plug-in protectors and the only way to get any
protection is to have a nearby direct earth ground. Faced with the
problem of MOVs providing protection in electronics/appliance without
an earthground, he simply denies MOVs are used in electronics and
appliances. Here's the references that I provvided him on that one:

Here, from Appliance Magazine and Appliance Design websites:

http://www.appliancedesign.com/CDA/A.../BNP_GUID_9-5-...

"New thermally enhanced MOVs help protect a wide variety of low-power
systems against damage caused by over-current, over-temperature and
over-voltage faults, including lightning strikes, electrostatic
discharge (ESD) surges, loss of neutral, incorrect input voltage and
power induction.

I had a microwave oven that had a MOV across the 120V line ahead of the
power switch. The other side of the 120/240 20A circuit supplied a
refrigerator. The loss of the neutral applied a good part of the 240V
across the MOV when the refrigerator attempted to start.

The MOV didn't last long! It would probably have been OK on the load
side of the switch.

I know that refrigerators should be alone on a "home run" circuit, and
neutrals shouldn't be connected with wire nuts, but that wasn't how it was!

My only complaint with some plug-in protectors is that the MOVs are
often much too small. I've also seen some with only a line-line MOV.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.