Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Arc Fault Breakers For Wall Outlets

John Grabowski wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I know they have arc-fault circuit breakers that will replace a
typical breaker in a Load Center for a residence.

But I have read that there are recently available ones to replace the
regular wall outlets.
Also, apparently, combination arc-fault and GFCI's for wall outlets.

Have searched Google and the others, but can't seem to find any
offerings.

Anyone know who offers, and perhaps the Link to ?

Thanks,
Bob

I just had a CEU class this past Saturday on the 2008 code for New
Jersey and of course the subject of arc fault circuit breakers was a hot
topic. The instructor had met with people from the state recently and
said that the combination arc fault protector requirement will most
likely get passed into law this fall when the code gets adopted.

It will be interesting how many jurisdictions don't require AFCIs for as
many locations as the 2008 NEC. From the comments on the code change,
the expansion is controversial.

BTW a
combination arc fault circuit breaker is NOT an AFCI/GFCI device. It
actually protects against different types of arc faults which is one of
the reasons NJ did not require them previously. In the past some
manufacturers AFCI's only protected against one type of arc fault and
other manufacturers AFCI's protected against another type of arc fault.
The combination arc fault circuit breaker covers them all.

"Branch/Feeder" AFCI were required starting with the 2002 NEC for
bedrooms. They were required to detect arcs at a 75A level, so they
would only detect "parallel" arcs (H-N, H-G). Ground fault detection was
also required at 50mA (but commonly provided at 30 mA). As you know,
that is not the same as a GFCI (5mA). The idea was apparently an arc
with a ground present might soon result in ground current.

"Outlet circuit" AFCI were defined but were not required and I don't
know if they were made. The required arc detection level is 5A, so they
will detect a "series" arc (loose connections).

"Combination" AFCIs 'combine' the protection of "Branch/Feeder" and
"Outlet circuit" - so they detect "series" arcs (also with 50mA ground
fault). They are required by the 2005 NEC starting Jan 1, 2008. I don't
think anyone had them out much before that.

Then there is the vast (half-vast?) expansion of where AFCIs are
required in the 2008 NEC.

Even though it is mentioned in the code, according to the instructor
there currently is no arc fault wiring device to replace receptacles.
As the teacher said "Why would you want one?" Using a wiring device
instead of a AFCI breaker leaves the most loaded section of the wiring
unprotected against arc faults.

Greg had a good answer - if you can't get a CB type AFCI for your panel.

--
bud--