Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default How should I store pressure treated wood?

"stratford1" wrote in message
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a small deck and have about
20 PT boards waiting to be put on. The way the project has been going
(unfortunately) it could be a while before I get them on. My question
is...what's the best way to store these boards? They're currently
stacked outside - sitting on some 2x4s to keep them off the ground.
I'm a little confused because I've read a few things that suggest they
should be covered to avoid exposure to the elements...yet, these are
for a porch which will be continually exposed to the elements...and
isnt it good for the wood to "breathe" and dry out for some time?

One other question about these boards in particular...when I
originally bought them they were COMPLETELY wet and very soft. So much
so, that when I drive a screw the screw wants to go completely through
the board. Any suggestions on what to do so that these boards will
fairly quickly dry enough to be usable? Do I need to wait to add them
to the deck? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PT lumber is shipped wet because they expect you to use it in contact with
the ground. If you are not doing that, maybe you should be using a
different kind of lumber. In any case, it has a great tendency to warp if
you let it dry too completely so for storage if only a few weeks, just stack
them directly on the ground and cover with a tarp. Store it the same way
you see it stacked in the store. Once they are built into the porch,
warpage will be restricted by the nails and rest of the structure. Don't
dry it too much first or you will be sorry.

IMO, PT should be used for the under structure of the porch only. Use
something else for the decking. Paint any surfaces exposed to people and
you won't have to worry about the chemicals inside. Toxic sawdust tied in a
plastic shopping bag and directly into the trash.