Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

wrote:
In alt.engineering.electrical Don Kelly wrote:

| Now - is this all germane to household protection? You say not and I agree
| with you- because household equipment can ride through - at worst- doubling
| of the clamped voltage for a very short time even though the clamped voltage
| is relatively small compared to the peak of the incoming surge. --

My belief is that they
can, and will at times.

People believe in flying saucers.
Where is a source that supports your belief?

I do agree that things can survive at the clamping voltage. But there has to
be a clamping situation. It's too easy for a surge to come in as a common
mode surge where the voltage difference across the MOVs would be (nearly) zero.
Then all we have is a propogating wavefront. And if it is strong and/or close
then we have very fast rise times. And it passes by the MOVs "laterally".

Where is a source that supports your belief in nanosecond risetimes and
100MHz spectrum?

But one thing I do see in at least part of this thread is that Bud
focuses on quoting things other people say, and does very little to express
things in his own words.

I focus on the real world. You focus on your beliefs.

--
bud--