Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko dicko is offline

Default Where is the stain coming from?

On Tue, 6 May 2008 01:01:45 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have little speck of brownish orange stains on my white shirts, and I
thought may be I was just sloppy when eating pasta.

Well I bought a brand new white shirt last Friday and washed it Sunday.
Before I wore it I noticed a few speck of small orange stains the size of
the letter "o" on your keyboard.

So it couldn't be pasta sauce. I have not even worn it yet.

It has to be from the washer or dryer. I looked and touched the inside of
my washer/dryer, nothing, I thought may be I would find a rusted part that
is staining the shirt, but I did not find any.

I was not using any bleach with the wash.

Any idea what could cause multiple spots of orangey stains?

Thanks,

MC

Check the washing machine itself for rust, most notably around the lip
of the door opening. The porcelan coating failed all around on mine
and dropped little rust pieces into the water while washing.

Disolved iron in water wont make red spots. It'll make the whole
garment dingy red. You need a solid rust particle to make spots. So
it could be something upstream in the water system that is shedding
rust specks, or as I said, the washing machine itself. I dont know
what brand you have but if its a top loader, see if you can pop the
top off and look around the upper rim of the wash basket for rust
particles.

-dickm