Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Conduit required in a garage.

On 2008-05-06, ejluhn720 via HomeKB.com u43311@uwe wrote:

Is conduit required for wiring in a detached garage, or can the wire be run
to the outlet boxes in NM cable? I have exposed 2x4's with no drywall. Can
someone site a code reference? I am planning to add some additional wiring
to my garage and would like to do it correctly. I had seen something in an
old post about protecting wiring below 75".

Anybody help me out?

Take a look at http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99016.
I agree with those who say that since a detached garage is not a
dwelling unit, the use of NM cable is subject to the requirements of
NEC 334.10(3). That means NM can only be used if covered by a 15
minute fire-rated finish, i.e. drywall. You could use MC instead.

Cheers, Wayne