Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Conduit required in a garage.

"ejluhn720 via HomeKB.com" u43311@uwe wrote in message
news:83b955b5ae717@uwe...
Is conduit required for wiring in a detached garage, or can the wire be
run
to the outlet boxes in NM cable? I have exposed 2x4's with no drywall.
Can
someone site a code reference? I am planning to add some additional
wiring
to my garage and would like to do it correctly. I had seen something in
an
old post about protecting wiring below 75".

Anybody help me out?

Ed

I heard of anther electrical contractor failing inspection for this and on a
recent detached garage that I did my brother (An inspector) warned me about
using exposed Romex. Fortunately in my case the walls were going to be
drywalled. I am in New Jersey.

Article 334.10(1) specifies it is acceptable within dwelling units. A
detached garage is not a dwelling unit. Other structures must have a 15
minute thermal barrier as per 334.10(3).

I usually keep wiring, switches, and receptacles at 48" in garages as
gasoline vapors sit low and I use only metal boxes so there is no question
about fire rating. For exposed wiring I try to use EMT conduit (Metal)
whenever possible.

Your best bet is to contact your building department to get clarification on
the exposed Romex issue.