Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default stripped front door today, pics

Mikepier wrote:
I'm not familiar with Rock Miracle, so I looked at their website.
Which product did you
use?

This is the product I used
http://www.rockmiracle.com/productde...p?cid=8&pid=45

It is a methylene chloride paste like you mentioned, but like I said
it did not come off easy on the flat parts of the door.
For the molding, I tried using my plumbers torch to heat the old
varnish a bit, then use a soft wire brush, but it seemed not to come
off clean plus I had to be careful not to burn the wood.
I do have a Dremel tool. Just a basic model. Maybe they have bits for
this purpose?

A flap disk would help. I'm not thinking of the kind that look like a small
wheel but of those that have numerous strips of aluminum oxide cloth with
the ends of the strips slit. You can make your own by cutting a bunch of
aluminum oxide cloth strips each maybe 1-2" wide and 5-6" long. Make
numerous 2" slits in both ends of each then lay them on top of each other so
that they form a circle; i.e., lay down one, lay the next at 90 degrees to
the first, lay the third bisecting those and repeat but with the opposite
side up. Do that several times. Make a hole in the stack, insert a bolt
with fender washers on both sides, add a nut and chuck in a drill (not
Dremel tool).

In use, the little fingers resulting from the slits get into the detail but
don't sand very agressively so they don't destroy the detail; soften it a
bit but not seriously. IMO. I'd probably use #120 cloth.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...