Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Where is the stain coming from?

"MiamiCuse" wrote

Well I bought a brand new white shirt last Friday and washed it Sunday.
Before I wore it I noticed a few speck of small orange stains the size of
the letter "o" on your keyboard.

Snicker, I had black or brownish ones. It turned out to be caused by crud
build up in the water line to the washer. Since I only ran it about once a
week, it would just sorta sit there and cause that.

To fix it, eventually we ended up also replacing the washer because inside
the crud had built up and it was cheaper than replacing clothes but the main
thing we learned was to run the washer once while empty (no soap etc needed)
to clear the line, then with clothes.

We had other 'issues' with that piping that caused us to replace the lines
(or part of them). When they came out, the plumber was laughing at the crud
in there. It had been building up for years? We guessed that the last
owners before us use a landromat so they could do many loads at once (there
was one just 200 yards from the house and they had 5 people in the house so
would have taken less time).

I'm not saying your problem is the same, but it might be related to some
rusty joint someplace along the supply line to the washer or something that
isnt fully draining inside the washer and is rusty which on the next load
after it sat a bit, comes back up into the clothes?