Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Automated honing

On May 5, 9:57*pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
I've been asked to help with the design of honing systems for cutting tools,
mostly as a preparation for TiN and other ion coatings. *I've had some of the
physics explained to me and it's fascinating! *One of the methods use rubber
particles coated with diamond dust accelerated in a fluidized bed that the tools
are cycled through. *You can get a very fine mirror finish without excessive
erosion of the actual cutting edges. *The fine finish when coated has superior
low friction properties.

Finish is a big issue with cutting tool manufacturers and the coating industry.
I'm blessed to have such access to TiN coating that I have a coated tea-bag
squeezer, and any thing else I could want. *So, I'm happy to make even a small
contribution. *Does anyone know where I can find more info about these honing
processes?

Find the trade magazine Cutting Tool Technology. Recent articles on
fluidized honing , a bit beyond me.It's a free pub to the trade.