Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In article
..com, w_tom writes

Mike Tomlinson has just posted in agreement.

As usual, you're twisting things again. I'm certainly not agreeing with
_you_.

UK homes typically do
not need what is necessary in FL homes.

instead, YOU are agreeing with what I said...

UK homes need not be earthed
as central FL homes may be earthed:
http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/ufer.jpg

Those pictures do absolutely nothing to bolster your argument,
especially appearing as they do without any explanatory text.

Many homes have more than enough protection with only one earthed
'whole house' protector - and nothing else. Especially in the UK.

Nonsense. You live in Pennsylvania (thankfully, though I do feel sorry
for your neighbours and anyone else with whom you come into contact.)
It is not common practice to install whole-house protectors in the UK.

UK homes may be more than sufficiently earthed with one 3 meter
ground rod.

You have no idea. TT earthing (ground rod earthing) is relatively
unusual in the UK. The majority of buildings have a T-N-C-S supply from
the utility provider, who provide an earth point alongside the supply
cable where it rises out of the ground.

Then one surge protector can provide more than sufficient
protection for everything - eliminating maybe £500 or £2000 for plug-
in protectors.

Absolute crap. You have no idea how much surge protectors in the UK
cost.

w_ once again lies, distorts, and twists what others say to suit his own
bizarre beliefs and ideologies.

w_ continues to lead his one-man crusade and is unable to understand why
his dogmatic posts attract contempt and derision from many different
people with a wide spectrum of experience and knowledge of electrical
and electronic theory and practice.

w_ continues to believe that he alone is Right and everyone else is
Wrong, a classic sign of a sociopathic personality. w_**** needs to
consult a mental health professional.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!