Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default What value pot?

On May 4, 10:22*am, Art Todesco wrote:
peter wrote:
My new digital FM tuner puts out too strong a signal compared to my
other inputs (TV and CD). *I want to install a dual potentiometer
between the tuner and preamp to reduce the volume. *What is the best
value pot to use for this. *I have ordered 50K, 100K, 250K and 500K from
Mouser (the pots are cheap - the shipping is not).

I would have ordered 1K, 5K, 10K, 25K, 50K

A more elegant look is to order an inline attenuator. They cost way more
than some pots and are not adjustable, but you won't see dangling wires.

Actually, with today's solid state
equipment, it usually means lower
impedance.
So, IMO, without knowing any details, I
would grab a 5K or 10K and because
it is audio, one with an audio taper.
* However, if you have a 50K, use it. *Wire
the fixed resistor (ends) across the
output of the tuner. *Then wire the low
fixed
side (ground) and the wiper to the input
of the amp. *It should work fine. *I've
done this at our local access TV studio
for a tuner that plays over text. *It's only
mono, but it's the same idea.

BTW is thi mono or stereo? Or multi audio channel?