Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

On May 4, 9:09 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
The same thing we did in the studios and transmitter sites. Use a
combination of protection at the building's main disconnect, and
individual protection at each critical device. The only thing that I've
lost in the last ten years was when lightning hit a huge pine tree, and
cut the top half of it off. It landed on the ground right over the
buried telephone line, and a second strike blew out the modem and MOV
protection on the phone line.

You suffered damage from a lightning strike and call that effective
protection? Modems are most typically damaged by surges entering an
AC mains. Outgoing surge path would be the phone line to earth via a
telco installed 'whole house' protector. Damage from lightning is
effective protection? After spending how much for all those
protectors, you call that protection?

Phone lines do not use MOV protectors. Basic information that you
would have learned if not wasting time insulting people. MOVs have
too much capacitance. Phone line 'whole house' protectors use other
technologies with lower capacitance.