Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Reasons for not using cedar in furniture

DanielMatt wrote:
Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture.
I was taught that it wasn't generally a good idea, but I wanted some
other opinions and/or concurrence. I don't really remember the
reasons I was given, which is another reason I'm asking :P

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

Not much reason to unless you're making outdoor furniture. Main
problem is that most varieties are quite soft and not very strong--you
can stick your fingernail in some of it. Finding a clear grade kiln
dried is another issue--it does exist but it's not commonplace and
you'll pay for it when you find it.

If you've got a local source get some stock and make a few small
pieces and see how you like the result.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)