Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default stripped front door today, pics

Mikepier wrote:

I'm not familiar with Rock Miracle, so I looked at their website. Which
product did you
use?

This is the product I used
http://www.rockmiracle.com/productde...p?cid=8&pid=45

It is a methylene chloride paste like you mentioned, but like I said
it did not come off easy on the flat parts of the door.
For the molding, I tried using my plumbers torch to heat the old
varnish a bit, then use a soft wire brush, but it seemed not to come
off clean plus I had to be careful not to burn the wood.
I do have a Dremel tool. Just a basic model. Maybe they have bits for
this purpose?

A sanding bit might work, but likely to gouge the wood. I'm allergic to
sanding, so I rarely do it. When I refinish wood, I
scrub the final application of stripper with steel wool (medium), remove
that, and then clean
off the stripper with fine steel wool and mineral spirits. Messy, messy
job. The stripper
softens the wood just a tad, so the steel wool makes it plenty smoothe.
I would suggest
trying another brand of stripper, semi-paste methylene chloride that
labels for cleaning
with mineral spirits. As I said, some suggest either water or m.s.
wash. Just out of
curiosity, Is Rock Miracle from a specialty store? I can't imagine why
stripper would remove
the finish from part of the door but not the other. Did you leave it on
for at least 20 min?
Work in hot sun? It has to be a thick coat, and if you see a spot has
evaporated, apply more.
Can't brush it on thin, it has to be very thick and puddly.

The most coats of paint that I could count, because of color changes,
was siz. No problem,
ever, getting any kind of coating off.