Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Conduit required in a garage.

"ejluhn720 via HomeKB.com" u43311@uwe wrote in message
news:83b955b5ae717@uwe...
Is conduit required for wiring in a detached garage, or can the wire be
run
to the outlet boxes in NM cable? I have exposed 2x4's with no drywall.
Can
someone site a code reference? I am planning to add some additional
wiring
to my garage and would like to do it correctly. I had seen something in
an
old post about protecting wiring below 75".

Anybody help me out?

Ed

The NEC allows NM cable to be stapled on the sides of the 2x4's and drilled
through their centers. If you had drywall up and wanted to run NM on the
surface, you would protect it by sleeving it in PVC or EMT, etc.