Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default What value pot?

Glad to help Mike. If your amp has a very low input impedance (which it
shouldn't) and falls well below the 47K ohm "standard" which is commonly
used, then you may find that the other pots will work better in the sense
that a larger fraction of their rotational range will be useful. The pot is
merely a voltage divider, and, as such, divides a ratio determined in part
by the input impedance of your amplifier input. You can experiment and see
which one works best, but any of the pots, once set, will do exactly the
same voltage division to give you the attenuation your are looking for.

Similarly, a pot with an "audio taper" rather than a "linear taper" will
make the adjustment in sound 'volume' more proportional, since the ear
perceives sound volume logarithmically and a linear pot seems to have an
unnaturally slow response when rotated. Even so, the ultimate voltage
division is still all that matters to get you the attenuation you are
looking for. Therefore any of them should work, but some will seem much more
fussy to set.

Good luck!

Smarty

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Smarty, Thanks for your learned and commonsense reply. I have on order
in addition to the 50K, 100K, 250K, & 500K pots, a 5K and 10K. I will
experiment between the 10K (recommended by some) and the 50K to see what
works the best, I have also sent emails to Sangean (the maker of the
tuner) asking their opinion. I'm not holding my breath waiting for an
answer from them!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')