Posted to misc.consumers.house
dicko dicko is offline

Default Wrapping Window Trim

On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:37:02 -0400, "dosferatu"
wrote:

I have been getting quotes on new siding for my house, and some contractors
have suggested wrapping the window trim with aluminum as an alternative to
replacing with non-wood materials or leaving the wood.

The few examples of this I have seen did not look so good. I could see the
mitre joint in the aluminum. Also, if I get the fascia wrapped, one
contractor said it might not look good because of the size ( 1x10) would
cause some waviness.

So, any comments on wrapping trim and fascias? Or should I just spend the
$$$ and have it all done wiht Azek?

TIA

Dont do it!

There's no way to make it water tight and water will find a way
between the cladding and the wood.

When I bought my current house, the winows had been wrapped and not
only did it sound like a snare drum every time it rained, when I took
it off, I ended up completely replacing every piece of wood that had
been wrapped, and the windows, and some of the framing. Everything had
rotted away, and it did it invisibly because its hidden by the
wrapping.

-dickm