Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In alt.engineering.electrical bud-- wrote:
| wrote:
| In alt.tv.tech.hdtv bud-- wrote:
|
| | Previously you said Martzloff "flubbed the experiment".
|
| I remember that. You were telling me about some information he had
| obtained from some experiment.
|
| | Now you agree with Martzloff that branch circuit must be 200m for
| | transmission line behavior with 1.2 microsecond rise time.
|
| That's not a result of an experiment.
|
| "*From this first test*, we can draw the conclusion (predictable, but
| too often not recognized in qualitative discussions of reflections in
| wiring systems) that it is not appropriate to apply classical
| transmission line concepts to wiring systems if ..."
|
| As usual, you don?t know what was written.

What what kind of surge did Martzloff use to carry out that test?

| I'm not so sure the exact distance
| is 200m for that exact rise time. But that is a subjective thing.
|
| Quit equivocating. Where is your cite. Like for nanosecond risetimes.

Observation.

| | You say that doesn't apply because surges are faster. Martzloff uses 1.2
| | us because that is a standard rise time for surges produced by lightning
| | as defined in IEEE standards.
|
| Martzloff did not say that was a defined standard in the statement you
| quoted. He just used it as an example to come up with the 200m figure.
|
| He used it because 1.2/50 (voltage) is an IEEE standard. The 8us from
| w_?s engineer is another standard (8/20 current).

The standard for what? The typical surge?

| | w_' professional engineer source says 8 micoseconds with most of the
| | spectrum under 100kHz.
|
| Even with 1 nanosecond rise time, most of the energy will be present in
| the spectrum below 100 kHz. That means nothing when the surge is strong
| enough to have energy above some frequency that is relevant to the whole
| system involved that can do damage. That frequency might be 100 Mhz for
| some thing, and 1 GHz for other things.
|
| Still missing ? your source. Nanosecond risetime. 100MHz spectrum.

Observation. Of course this is a concept you cannot understand.

| | You still have *no sources that support your belief* that risetimes are
| | far faster.
|
| I have experience and observation for that. I need no more.
|
| Lots of people have experience and observation with flying saucers.
|
| The rest of us want a source.

The only flying saucers I have seen are the ones I've tossed.

--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, I no longer see any articles originating from |
| Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers |