Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
Leonard Caillouet Leonard Caillouet is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

"w_tom" wrote in message
People who are more than TV repairmen learn from their mistakes and
correct reasons for that failure. TV repairmen only fix defects -
never bother to learn how those failures can be avoided. Let's have
some fun. Let's reply using the same mockery and insult that Michael
uses. Except this post will be accurate about Michaels intelligence.

I am merely a TV repairman who happens to have quite a bit of education, and
has done much research on the matter. We began installing good basic MOV
based suppression on our clients' systems long ago, using system level units
that protect all incoming lines. We also pay close attention to proper
grounding. What we have found over many years of this practice in one of
the most lightning intense areas of the USA, is that our systems never take
damage. During times of high thunderstorm activity, however, we see several
times the repair volume, and invariably, the user did not use a surge
suppressor. Our clients are happy with the systems that we sell and with
the reliability. There are good reasons to suspect that system level surge
suppressors do work, but grounding cannot be ignored.

As for you w_tom, you have done far more to clutter groups than to provide
any useful information. While your emphasis on grounding is good advice,
much of the rest of your arguments are out of context and misleading.
Michael may be a crochety ass sometimes, but at least he consistently
provides useful information. Stick to preaching the importance of grounding
and give the rest a break.

Leonard