Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

On Mon, 5 May 2008 04:32:48 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In , Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

Hi Don,

Our firm is pretty much using 5,000K exclusively now; mostly Osram
Sylvania XPS. I wasn't initially convinced it was appropriate beyond
the shop floor, but it's been very well received right across the
board -- at the risk of making this sound like a laundry detergent ad,
everything looks "fresher", "cleaner" and "brighter".

I use 6,500K in outdoor applications (they, in turn, makes the 5,000K
lamps look somewhat dingy) and I'd be curious to see how they'd look
in a commercial setting. I'd also like to try out the new 8,000Ks
too, but my partners are not as keen on the idea.

FWIW, I use SPX30s in my own home (living areas) and SPX50s in the
utility room.

I have seen a few retail establishments with 6500K.

I remember recently seeing one that still does. Now, doggone it, I
can't remember who/what/where! But I'm pretty sure it was T8 6500K.

Then there are two others that I remember better as to who they were and
where they were. One was a copy shop using 6500K "Daylight"
(halophosphor) lamps. They moved to a nearby location and did not take
6500K with them; now they use 4100K. The other is a jewelry store that
used 6500K triphosphor (uncertain about bulb diameter however), but they
recently went out of business - my speculation is the owner(s) retiring.

All of these places appeared to me icy and at least slightly "stark",
and the one with the halophosphors also had some "dreary gray effect".

In my experience, 6500K lamps are more bluish than most overcast sky,
even though that is widely said to be 6500K. I seem to think that
overcast sky should be close to the color temperature of sunlight in
space, and I see varying numbers for that - with 5780K appearing to me to
make a good case there.

- Don Klipstein )

Hi Don,

I would be less inclined to go with high colour temperature lamps if
the general colour scheme is warm or if a lot of wood surfaces are
used, but if neutral or cool colours dominate, I would definitely opt
for 5,000K and, quite possibly, 6,500K. Obviously, as you know, the
intended use of the space pretty much dictates this choice. If you
want to convey a warm, relaxed and casual atmosphere, 3,000K is the
way to go. If, on the other hand, you want foster a no-nonsense,
business-like, get-out-of-my-way-I've-got-important-things-to-do mind
set, the higher the better. And I agree with you that you must have
sufficient raw lumens to make this work.

Few of us realize just how much lighting and, more specifically, light
colour influences our mood. In a high-end retail environment warm
colours tell us to relax, slow down and dream, whereas in a grocery or
hardware store, say, cool colours help keep our minds focused on the
business at hand, direct us to the cash registers and then quickly out
the door (no loitering please). If I saw 3,000K lamps lighting-up a
Walmart or Target I'd literally crap my pants. Ditto 5,000K or 6,500K
lamps in a Victoria's Secret or Neiman Marcus.

Cheers,
Paul