Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

On Monday 05 May 2008 16:42, mike wrote:

I've had mixed results with a stun-gun. Lotsa volts, but not enough current
to break much. I just arc'd it between all combinations of pins until
I got bored with the light show. No idea where the short was, but it
worked afterwards. YMMV.

Haha, I like that . Using any kind of tesla coil would do about the same, I
guess. I'm working on constructing a device which gives me a current limited
jolt at 325V (described in another post in this thread). Let's see how that
works out. 350V is the amount a Sencore rejuvenator uses, so that seems pretty
safe to me.

But about your stungun method: if it worked afterwards, what are the mixed
results you speak of?

BTW, I've always wondered, what does an arc look like in a vacuum. In air, the
air ionizes, giving the thunderbolt like arc. But in a vacuum, this can't
happen. So, will the arcing be invisible when the short has been completely
blown out?