Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a weatherproof 13A socket

In article ,
Lobster writes:
I want to fit an MK Masterseal weatherproof socket for powering garden
tools, and will be ordering it from TLC:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56480.html

That one remains weatherproof when there's something plugged
in to it. If you won't be using it in the rain, there are
cheaper ones which are weatherproof only when nothing is
plugged in. If it's just for mowing the lawn, that's
usually good enough.

This will be conveniently attached to the wall immediately "behind" my
CU, so I can take a spur straight through the wall from the
(RCD-protected) downstairs ring. The cable will enter the socket box
from behind.

I take it this can be done using standard 2.5mm^2 T&E?

Also, without having the socket in my hands it's hard to tell: what
'extras' do I need to buy in terms of grommets/glands etc? I can see
several bits on the TLC site! Or is everything I need provided?

I would buy an MK grommet for T&E (has a small slot in the
middle which stretches around T&E).

I fitted a double pole 20A isolating switch inside in the dry.
This enables you to disconnect the outdoor circuitry if it happens
to get damp and trip the RCD. Might also prevent anyone else
stealing your electricity via that socket.

You could also make the socket a TT circuit by it having it's
own earth rod outside.

--
Andrew Gabriel