Posted to misc.consumers.house
Banty Banty is offline

Default Wrapping Window Trim

In article , dosferatu says...

I have been getting quotes on new siding for my house, and some contractors
have suggested wrapping the window trim with aluminum as an alternative to
replacing with non-wood materials or leaving the wood.

The few examples of this I have seen did not look so good. I could see the
mitre joint in the aluminum. Also, if I get the fascia wrapped, one
contractor said it might not look good because of the size ( 1x10) would
cause some waviness.

So, any comments on wrapping trim and fascias? Or should I just spend the
$$$ and have it all done wiht Azek?

Had siding done two years ago; love the result.

My fascia are mostly hidden by the gutters, so there it doesnt' matter so much.
It should not wave if it is installed with enough leeway to expand. I think
that one contractor is just saving himself any possible problem, although I
might not fully appreciate what the problem is. You're not talking about
soffits, are you? Of course these should get the specific perforated vinyl
siding if you're doing vinyl.

The trim I had wrapped with coilstock aluminum - about three inches wide trim.
I think some of the stuff you've seeing (and I've seen and not like so I think I
understand what you mean) are how it looks if very wide trim is wrapped.

I wanted my trim to stand out somewhat but not be too wide. You can have the
trim narrower and neater looking if you either use shutters with it (I didn't -
wanted a clean simple look with white trim), or let the J-channel be the trim
color too if you're using vinyl. Some of the older trim on the back and side of
the house had a narrower trim which got white coilstock wrapped with the white
J-channel nearly matching. No one has noticed that their trim is actually
somewhat different from the 3 (maybe 3 1/4?) trim I used on the front windows
and door and a more prominent side of the house with newer windows.

If down the road you want to change out the trim color (not sure of your
situation), of course you can have wood trim. If your new siding will need some
maintenance anyway, maybe you should leave yourself that option if it appeals to
you. I don't know anything about Azek..

Banty