Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default tin says to use a synthetic brush

johngood_____ wrote:
I'm using some Ronseal diamond hard satin clear 'water based' varnish on a
table top. It says on the tin to use a *synthetic filament * brush, which
is annoying, since all my brushes are bristle.

Would using a synthetic brush make any noticeable difference to the final
finish? Anyone know why they would recommend a synthetic brush please?

I don't suppose the manufacturer would know anything about their
product, huh?

But it isn't only Ronseal, synthetic bristle brushes work _much_ better
w/ water-based finishes owing to the tendency of water to soften natural
bristle. If you're at all interested in a quality finish, follow the
recommendation and use a good quality brush, not a 50-cent cheapie.