Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In alt.engineering.electrical Michael Kennedy
wrote:

| wrote in message
| In alt.engineering.electrical operator jay wrote:
| |
| | "You" wrote in message
| | In article ,
| |
| | wrote:
| |
| | There are two different flavors of 220/230/240 volts. Some places
| | have a
| | simple system with one wire hot and one wire grounded. Other
| | places have
| | a split system where the voltage is split in half to get
| | 110/115/120 volts
| | relative to ground, by adding a additional "middle" conductor that
| | is the
| | grounded one.
| |
| | Sonny, you need to LEARN the difference between Ground and
| | Neutral......
| | before you spout any further BS.......
| |
| | What he wrote looks reasonable to me in terms of ground and neutral.
| | Neutral is the grounded conductor where I live. He does not say to
| | use a ground as a neutral, if that's what you're getting at. I can
| | only guess that that may be what you're getting at, you haven't
really
| | said.
|
| He might be one of those "knows just enough to be really dangerous"
people
| on the net. I didn't even mention "neutral". My intent was to explain
it
| in a simpler way for someone to just understand the basic difference.
The
| term "middle" was to convey a little more information than "neutral"
would
| SNIP
|
| Well, I understood what he meant, but maybe I took it the wrong way.
When he
| said middle conudctor I was thinking the center lug on the transformer
which
| is grounded and used as the neutral.

That is what I meant when I said middle conductor. I intentionally
avoided
calling it neutral for the person I was responding to. I did quote it to
make it clear (but this apparently was not clear enough for at least one
person) for others that I was using some other term.

--

Nope. LV (low voltage)230-V in Europe is just sufficient for 1 km distance.
MV (medium voltage) 20 kV for 60 km. HV (high voltage) 150 kV for 220 km.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering