Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default 1095 steel heat treatment

On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:39:44 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm making a couple small leaf springs. After a bit of searching, I've
settled on 1095 steel for my project. It needs to be heat treated for spring
properties, but I'm not finding info on tempering. The best page I've found
has a HUGE range for tempering.
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/1095.asp

Does anyone have information for a procedure to treat this for best spring
properties?

Karl

The ideal temper will depend on the stress and the number of cycles
the spring will experience. If the stress is relatively low, less than
90,000 psi, then tempering around 950F would give maximum life. The
700F temper would be appropriate if stresses are higher and shorter
life is acceptable.

I don't have any straightforward data on time, but 1/2 to 1 hour for a
small part would probably be safe.

--
Ned Simmons