Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Trepanning and Parting Off - Loose Gibs Chatter Chips

In article ,
Nick Mueller wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

That would be a good time for testing with hi-spot blue.

But you can do that at installing. Blue the mating surface and hammer in the
gib. Pull it out and inspect for spots. You can only cut the gib to length
when it was scraped in, not before. :-)

Too late, then. Unless the adjustment is slight.

The instructions that came with the gibs were a little vague, saying
only the the gib should be "snug", so I made the first one too loose,
but not terribly so. The second one I did hammer into place.

I recently scraped two "factory worn"*) gibs. Hammered them straight, stress
relieved them, milled in a pocket and cast that out with Moglice. And then
scraped to fit, including stickout of the gib.

*)
The Chinese-Idiot-Clan bent them in the factory to hide the sloppiness.

Cast iron doesn't bend very well. Is the gib cast iron? It should be,
for low wear.

Another excuse to make one's own gibs.

Joe Gwinn