Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Trepanning and Parting Off - Loose Gibs Chatter Chips

In article ,
Nick Mueller wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I installed the new gibs in the Clausing 5914 yesterday and today. Â*The
difference is amazing.

They are tapered gibs, right? Then you have to scrape them in. I doubt that
they fit perfectly from the factory either because of a slight difference
in slope or because of wear on the dovetail itself.

I though of this, but haven't done it. The instructions that came with
the gibs makes no mention of scraping, although it cannot hurt.

The improvement even without scraping is immense. I don't think the
gibs the lathe came with were scraped, but have no way to know if these
are the original gibs.

I'll use the lathe a while, and then take the gibs out and inspect them
under a magnifier for uneven wear. That would be a good time for
testing with hi-spot blue.

Joe Gwinn