Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 8-gauge low voltage wire

On 5/4/2008 2:01 PM Boden spake thus:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

YOu can not parallel 2 transformers to help in this case. The problem with
low voltage wiring is there is too much voltage drop along the wires unless
very large wire is used.

While you shouldn't parallel two transformers if replacing wire is a
Herculean task it would be possible to place a rectifier on each
transformer secondary, and build a fairly simple active device that will
sum the currents from each source to accomplish a the same thing as
paralleling the transformers, The only difference is that the lamps
would be supplied with dc instead of ac.

You can actually "parallel" (god, that use of a noun as a verb just
grates on my ears; I must really be old school; should read "run in
parallel") two transformers without any of that stuff you mentioned,
assuming they're nearly identical in size. You just need to make sure
they're in phase, which is pretty easy to determine with an ordinary
voltmeter.

But it isn't a recommended practice, and there are other, better solutions.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill