Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In alt.engineering.electrical Tony Hwang wrote:
| wrote:
|
| In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Michael A. Terrell wrote:
| |
wrote:
| |
| | In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Michael A. Terrell wrote:
| |
| | | Bull****. Like ALL charges, it simply seeks a complete circuit to
| | | flow. You have absolutely no grasp of the basic concepts, yet you
| | | continue to spout your ignorance and lies.
| |
| | Not true.
| |
| | When you close a switch between a power source and a pair of wires that go
| | out yonder, the electrical energy does not "know" whether the circuit is
| | complete or not. If it refused to flow, it would not be able to find out.
| | It will flow, whether the circuit is complete or not. What happens after
| | that depends on what is at the other end, which could be an open condition,
| | a short circuit, or some kind of resistive or reactive load.
| |
| | You've claimed to have worked in broadcasting in an engineering role. So
| | you should understand what happens at the end of an open transmission line.
| | The electricity flows to get to the open end. Yet it is not a "complete
| | circuit".
| |
| |
| | Yawn. You are trying your usual lame crap of misdirection.
| | Electromotive force and electromagnetic waves are not the same. you
| | claim to be an amateur radio operator, so you SHOULD know the
| | difference.
|
| 1. I *am* an amateur radio operator and I *do* know the difference.
|
| 2. Electromotive force is not a factor here, beyond what it might do to cause
| physical motion of wires during a surge (not impossible, but not usually
| considered).

Things like motors and generators, including Faraday's homopolar generator,
are interesting things to talk about (IMHO) ... in a different thread. Bring
it up (post a new thread) if you have a point to say or a question to ask.
It should generally go in alt.engineering.electrical, only, not the many other
groups that have been put in this thread.

--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, I no longer see any articles originating from |
| Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers |