Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In alt.engineering.electrical Tony Hwang wrote:
| Michael A. Terrell wrote:
|
| Tony Hwang wrote:
|
|Hmmm,
|Prpbably wannabee ham came from CB crowd when Morse code requirement was
|dropped.
|

| Who knows? Wherever he came from, I don't see him on this computer.
| All I know is that I finally kill filed him on this computer after I got
| tired of reading his 'twilight zone' electrical & electronics babble. I
| am a former radio & TV broadcast engineer, and if I followed his or
| _wacko_tom's warped ideas, I would have had millions of dollars worth of
| damage. I had a studio building and STL tower in Leesburg Florida hit
| by a direct strike. It blew chunks of concrete from the building where
| the rebar and threaded rods ran vertical. It WAS an excellent example
| of _wacko_tom's UFER ground, before the steel vaporized inside damp
| concrete. 95% of the damage was caused by the EMP. I lost the 11 GHz
| Cars band STL, the 1A2 type phone system, all the computer terminals,
| and had some minor problems with other electronics. It turned out that
| the dead terminals all had high ESR electrolytics, and that they were
| working because they were all on UPS before the strike took out all the
| electricity. The power 1A2 supply needed some of the weird WE fuses,
| one KTU card and was back in service. The STL was mounted on the tower
| in a steel NEMA box, and lost the LO module. It was 20 years old, and
| at least 10 years obsolete, so it needed that module updated, anyway.
|
| I started with the phones, then arranged a twice a day courier form
| the studio to the transmitter site with U-matic tapes. We rented a STL
| transmitter and shipped the damaged system to the OEM for repair &
| upgrading. The terminals were down for a day, while I waited for the
| new electrolytics. Or viewers didn't even know we had been hit. Then I
| moved the microwave racks to a closet in the corner of the building, and
| used 4" EMT between the rack and the tower. That was 20 years ago. They
| have had strikes since then, but no problems.
|

| Hi,
| Qucik check on Buckmaster shows he was born in '55. Technician
| plus(novice) holder. For his age, does not seem to have corresponding
| wisdom.

Whose wisdom are you judging? What have you see that I have posted that you
think is wrong? Would you like to debate the technical points? Or do you
just want to be one of those people that can only "win" by making personal
attacks?

--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, I no longer see any articles originating from |
| Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers |