Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Surge / Ground / Lightning

In alt.engineering.electrical "nobody " wrote:
| wrote:
| In alt.engineering.electrical Timothy Daniels wrote:
|
| | Would you please sum up what you believe to be prudent
| | protection (for electronic equipment) from nearby lightning strikes?
| | I'm thinking of both in single-family homes and in condo/apartment
| | buildings. What would you do to protect from in-house (or in-building)
| | surges, such as elevator motors suddenly shorting out, or welding
| | equipment in use?
|
| How much money are you willing to spend?
|

| The only thing I can think of that comes close is to have a heavy
| motor/generator set with a HUGE flywheel sitting in the basement.

How about driving a generator in the basement with either a heavy fiberglass
axle rod driven at some distance by a (sacrificial) motor, or by a fluid that
does not conduct electricity through a turbine system, similarly driven by a
motor/pump at some distance.

--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, I no longer see any articles originating from |
| Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers |