Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help: Brake Recommendations?

On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:12:58 GMT, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

JR North wrote:
I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise to about 90 degrees.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what I'd need, or possibly a website
tutorial for this.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

On Sun, 4 May 2008 11:12:14 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

The only relatively inexpensive ($500) brakes will only do 16ga max.
A brake to do 1/8" sheet is gonna cost you...plenty.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I'll bet Gunner could hook him up with something for a couple hundred
dollars or less.

http://bd-4.org/bendingbrake.html

www.zena.net/htdocs/welders/projects.shtml

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html

Its actually pretty hard to find a brake that will do 1/8" steel on
the surplus market

Thats well into the press brake capacity.

If its only one or two pieces, most fabrication shops will do it for
you for little money

Its fairly easy to make a beefy version of the above brakes, that will
do 24x 1/8" flat stock. Simply scale up the plans, and put a LONG
lever on it. If something breaks, (pun intended) beef it up again.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.