PoP

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:32:35 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:

Second small snag - LAs are likely to charge 100 quid upwards for processing notices.

Furhter info available on that.

I spoke with the building control manager of our local council about
this a couple of days ago. He and his department will be responsible
for carrying out these tests. And he wasn't aware that from next April
this is going to land on his plate.

Re costs, he wasn't able to give exact guidance but did say that for
carrying out window inspections the standard cost is £70. If the
electrical inspection is broadly the same amount of work then that's
what the bill is likely to be. However I intimated that perhaps the
testing might have to be more thorough and take more time - and he
didn't flinch when I said maybe the bill would be £250 or more.

So I carry out a general DIY type job for a householder to fit a new
light fitting and charge him £30 for the job. Then the council come
along and stiff the householder for another £250. If it weren't for
the requirement to be an NICEIC member I might have been able to carry
out those tests and issue a certificate for an all in cost of say £40
(a £10 uplift - I'm already on-site so no call-out charge to issue the
certificate). So the householder will get badly stiffed by this new
legislation.

PoP