Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

I'm going to build my own K-G1 zapper. I thought I'd put my idea up for
comments here.

- Get 325Vdc by rectifying 230Vac mains (provided by 1:1 isolation tranny).
- Charge 2.2 uF up to that DC potential.
- Discharge through two 400 Ohm resistors in series (to limit current to 400
mA. The repair FAQ has a comment in it, saying that if you need more than 400
mA, the cathode is usually toast. Two resistors because one resistor has a max
voltage of 250V. I found that Sencore's CRT regenerators use a current
limiting resistor [1], but I don't know which value (or which value cap).
- Increase value of cap step by step should the short not go away.

[1] Also says that it turns the heater off before attempting the discharge, to
protect the cathode. Is this really a problem, seeing as how the short does
not register without the heater on in my case?

Comments about resistor and cap value are most particularly requested.

Thanks in advance, as always

[1] http://www.sencore.com/newsletter/Oc...RejuveCRTs.htm