Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

On Sunday 04 May 2008 19:51, Wiebe Cazemier wrote:

I guess this depositing is what's been happenning. Can someone tell me if the
cap-discharge method, or professional rejuvenation, is perhaps particularly
dangerous? (just trying to rule out damaging this monitor...)

I meant, for this type of metal build-up?

Later on in the repair FAQ, it says this:

Second, an impregnated cathode, being highly conductive compared to an
oxide cathode which is a semi-conductor, can handle a much higher peak
current since the cathode material is not locally heated up by this peak
current. An oxide cathode can be destroyed by a too high peak beam current!

So, I guess with impregnated cathodes I run less risk of burning them out.