Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default D1-4 pin installation

Jon,

You said something about indicating the rough surface of the chuck ID.
If thre is no ground taper on the back ID of the chuck or backplate,
then I really don't think it can be called a D1 mount. It fits the
machine's spindle, but it can't be mounted repeatably. I can't imagine
using such a contraption.

The back ID is very clean, but if I follow you, there is no way to get
to it with an indicator when the chuck is mounted on the spindle. The
surfaces that are reachable are ok, but they are far from hardened and
ground.

It seems to be running just fine now; again the problem was that the
pins were (incorrectly) pre-mounted and the 3-jaw chuck was installed on
the spindle in the crate.

D1 mounts usually have an orientation mark, where one pin is marked to
line up with one of the cams. usually there is an extra straight line
by that one cam.

Thanks, I will look for that. As with my mill a while ago, it is
getting to be time for some directed light. The overhead lighting above
and behind me doesn't cut it.

Bill