Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default dust problem

In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

I'm not worried about the heat loss but I am my health because after I
work in the shop I cough and blow junk out of my nose for hours. The
dust problem is better than it used to be after I went to a cyclone
collector and ceiling filter unit. I'm not really worried about the
heat loss. Most of the dust I generate is from the lathe which I has a
8 inch dust hose to. I do a fair amount of woodturning and just sweep
up the shavings. Mt table saw and stationary belt sander contributes
to the dust problem and I have 4 inch collection hoses to them. So,
I'm down to thinking about exhausting everything I can outside and
collecting it there. Thanks for the suggestions

Rob

Rob -- it is much easier to filter the small amount of air you breathe than
to filter the whole shop. Instead of trying to make the shop perfect, make
it "OK" and then use a powered respirator with a HEPA filter - you will be
astounded at the improvement. I use a 3M product that is basically a hard
hat with the filter and a face shield - it's expensive but I really like it.
When I'm not making much dust, I just open the door and let a fan blow the
air outside - I found a huge difference in the dust in my sinuses when I
started using the powered respirator (specifically an Airmate, they cost
about $600) and the cost of even the best respirator is far cheaper than a
full high grade dust collection system.

If you go this way, the DC keeps things reasonably clean, the respirator
protects you, and you periodically go around and vacuum up the dust that has
settled on your stuff -

I use a combo system, powered respirator, DC and whole-shop air cleaner.
The combined cost would be a fraction of my cost of a lung transplant.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv