Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OK which is it Global Warming or Cooling?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article , "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
igy.net...
In article , "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

What makes you think he's talking about lying? It sounds like the
statement
says you have to get peoples' attention by focusing on the danger,
more
than
you might otherwise do in discussions about the subject. It doesn't
say
*misrepresent*, it says *over-represent*.

So instead of "lying" substitute "exaggerating". Not much difference
AFAIC.

It doesn't say "exaggerating," either. All is says is that the story
about
danger is "over-represented." But compared to what? One writer says
that
Gore meant that getting attention requires a heavy emphasis on the
danger
side of the issue. It doesn't say that one should lie about it. It
doesn't
say that one should exaggerate the level of the danger.

That sounds reasonable in context, doesn't it?

Apparently you see a difference in meaning between "over-represented"
and
"exaggerated".

To me, saying the danger is greater than it is, is exaggerating. Saying
that
it's dangerous first and last, and talking relatively little about
solutions
in between, would be "over representing."

In other words, it means what you want it to mean.

This is a test, Doug, to see if you have any common sense. Here's Al Gore
in
an interview that's going to be committed to print, and you think he means
"we have to wake people up, so we lie about the facts." Is that what you
think he intended?

Here are the common meanings of those terms. Webster's Unabridged
Dictionary's first (non-obsolete) definition for "exaggerate": to enlarge
beyond bounds or the truth. Here's the definition for "overrepresent": to
give excessive representation to.

So, excessive representation means "lying" to you? Or does it mean giving
excessive emphasis? To exaggerate often means to enlarge beyond the truth;
to overrepresent generally means harping on something to excess,
overstating
its importance, perhaps, but not lying about it. And an experienced
politician giving an interview is not likely to tell the audience that he
lies to get peoples' attention.

Right? Or do you just think that everyone but you is a fool?

No, Ed, I just think Al Gore is. And you.

You make up the meaning of words, ignore what the dictionary says, and then
accuse *me* of making up the meanings.

The truth doesn't matter to guys like you, Doug. You know what you want to
believe, and a little thing like getting the meaning of words wrong isn't
going to change your mind, right?

--
Ed Huntress