Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default D1-4 pin installation

Bob,
.
Unless the Chinese part of the instructions with my 4-jaw tells how to
mount the pins, I am w/o specifications. �What is the correct way
(height at which, number of turns, etc.) to mount them?

Thanks,

Bill

This should help:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?p=856062

It did! When they refer to indicating "the cone," is that inside the
chuck "below" the jaws? Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be
overkill with a 3-jaw chuck?? It also would be unlikely to work well or
at all on the fairly rough surface that I suspect one would use. My
4-jaw chuck is behind a tool cabinet that needs to be moved to a new
home (making room for a bigger one purchased recently), and while I
think I could lift it more directly, I am going to be smarter than that
It would not surprise me to find a finished surface inside the 4-jaw.

That thread mentions using a torque wrench on the cams. Any takers, or
is that going too far? If you do use one, what is your target torque?

Thanks,

Bill