derek

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:18:24 +0100, Vidcapper
wrote:

In uk.politics.misc on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 at 15:25:29, derek wrote :

uk.finance + uk.politics.misc added

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:40:15 +0100, PoP
wrote:

About a new requirement from next April that all domestic electricaL
work will have to be certified by a qualified electrician.

So if I change a plug, or replace a fuse, I'll have to call someone in?

That's not "domestic electrical work" IE work on a house.

But it's almost as bad as that, it's pretty bad now before they've
even started. I bought an ordinary ceiling fan from B&Q, called a
local electrician in to fit it and he refused "your ceiling's too low
mate it's against the rules" but I have an ordinary modern house built
in 1976 the ceiling is 7' 6" from the floor. "Somebody might pick up a
little child from the floor and throw it up into the whirling blades
of the fan"

So I fitted it myself.

1 year later got a Corgi man in, he came into the front room and said
"You can't have an open gas fire in a room with a ceiling fan" I said
we don't use them both at the same time the fan is to cool us down the
fire is to make us warm" and even if we did the fan has no effect on
the fire. Doesn't matter he said It's against the rules, I can't
service the fire.

And they haven't started yet!

One of the things bothering me is that I'll have to have all these
petty non- compliances resolved before I can sell the house.

DG