Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ransley ransley is offline

Default Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

On May 3, 6:16*pm, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...

krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
krw wrote:

snip

I'm not about to use CFLs anywhere I spend any time.
* *And, why not?

Primarily because I can't stand the light and they're too slow to
turn on where I don't care about the light.

* I'm not about
to replace all my fixtures either.
Why would you have to?

CFLs aren't for many fixtures. *They do get hot and the electronics
doesn't like it. *You have a lot to learn, my boy.

* *Not as much as you.

I'm sure IKYABWAI is the best argument you can come up with.

* There's other alternatives (at a higher cost) for the heat hell holes
you mention. Personally, I've never liked or used recessed lighting.

I do, but I'm not forcing you to have them.

Most of them are big leaks in a homes thermal envelope, but you haven't
impressed me as caring much about conservation, just consumption.

Nonsense. *How does a thermal leak occur between floors? *If idiots,
like you, design houses all sorts of stupid things are likely to
happen.

* A case of bulbs here, and a case
there...

* I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone
hole. Remember that?
Oh, good grief!
I suppose you are still questioning evolution? And global warming?

Don't be an ass.

Don't be a flunky.

Hardly a fluky, ass.

* *Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.
Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?
Look whose calling who a sheep?

You *are* a perfect example of a sheep, who likes it when the man
from Washington bends you over. *I bet you really love those 1.6gal
toilets.

You've been listening to way too much wingnut radio/tv. Such is right
wing opinion in that it is all opinion and no facts. Just insult anyone
who disagrees. Don't let reality get in the way.

Absolutely the truth, which your "argument" falls well short of
addressing.

BTW, I have an old fashioned toilet because I live in an old house, but
have no objection to the new design toilets. The new ones work, as
opposed to the first generation.

You like to spout government lies. *I have a set of "new" ones. *
They don't. *

* *You'd have thought that congress would have thought up
something larger, given their needs.

Sometimes it pays not to be a sheep and blindly believe all that horse
manure W has been dishing out for the last 7 years. I'd say lemming is a
more appropriate term.

Don't be an idiot. *I know it's hard work to think, but try it
anyway.

You seem to think we can just keep living the way we do now. I'm sure
the Mayans felt the same way as they gobbled up all the available resources.

There are a *lot* of things we can do and will have to do. *Having
government (or you) force change for changes sake is asinine. *
Choice is a good thing. *The market will decide the matters soon
enough without government screwing up the economy.

* *The tungsten light bulb has been around almost 100 years.

The planet has been around a tad longer than that and is still
useful.

There's
nothing else we use that comes anywhere near being as inefficient.

Now, don't add lies to your list of sins, junior.

Name a common appliance that is less efficient. The only thing in the
same ballpark is the common loudspeaker, but their drain on the grid is
minor.

Define efficient. *Televisions. *Toasters. *

The
common light bulb rings in at about 5%. It doesn't have great color
rendition unless corrected in which case it has a shorter life or is
even less efficient, it runs up the heat load in summer, it has a
terrible lifespan... The only real advantage it has is that it is cheap.
But not cheap when you consider the lifespan or the energy it uses.

Tungsten lights have far better color rendition than most CFLs.

* It's hard to call 2800K, good color rendition.

It's hard to call halogens, 2800K.

Halogens (which I use almost exclusively), even better.

* *A few hundred degrees hotter.

Stupid.

* There are excellent color balanced CFLs available, suitable for
viewing and judging color balance in photography. Much better than the
short lived photo floods. Certainly better than the common incandescent
or your halogens.

They all suck. *I've tried them, and relegated them to the basement
(when I had one). *I own none now because I hate them.

* *But hey, if you guys love your 100 year old design 100 Watt bulbs. I
don't happen to have your emotional attachment.

If that's your best argument, hang up your spurs, kid.

I don't understand your problem. No one is taking away your specialty
halogen lights. All we are talking about is the old edison based lamps
which should join the trash bin of obsolete technology.

They aren't "specialty". *They have an Edison screw base, and come
in the standard sizes. *I have "standard" tungsten in some floor
lamps though and closets though. *I'll be buying a few hundred over
the next couple of years because you leftist loons are forcing your
religion on others, again.

* *Jeff
* *Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do
too.
Sheep? *Evidently...

obviously

Obviously.

--
Keith

krw check out a review of cfls at Popular Mechanics magazine, the new
soft white are not what was out a few years ago, even by brand it
different, PM put a HD soft white at Par with incandesant. And putting
in cans in my kitchen does now allow out alot of air by sidewall loss
up to the attic.