Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default video tape stuck

On 4 May, 00:52, b wrote:
On May 4, 1:21 am, "

wrote:
Anyhow,
mine is * Sony SLV D950

could be 5 years old

for that model: check C1SS18(2200UF) and the load belts.
if you can, hand cycle the mech to get the tape back into the cassette
then disconnect the vcr load motor (assuming it uses one) - feed it 5v
or so.
replacing the power supply is not feasible as you will need to match
the exact spec of your *unit and they are often integrated to the main
pcb. It's not like working on a PC.

-B

can I touch things in there reading voltages with my multimeter
without getting electrocuted?
I could detect a weak voltage, though detecting weak smps would be
trickier (I think amps are measured in-circuit, so would have to cut
the wire).

Not sure about telling which part does what.. I will prob have to
watch a working video machine with its top off. Is that safe, poking
around with it plugged in?

tx