Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Burning out an intermittant heater-cathode short in a CRT

On Saturday 03 May 2008 14:04, Arfa Daily wrote:

k to g1 is by far the most common leakage path as far as I recall - and I
have to say it's been a while since I have been into CRT based repairs at
this level, so what John said above about h-k shorts may well be true with
'modern' tubes, although I'm sure that I remember being able to remove h-k's
in some circumstances with my B&K 465. As far as what you are measuring,
there should be no reading between g1 and any cathode. If the grid
connection is indeed grounded, then the statement about all guns being
affected equally, is not valid in this case, and individual gun conditions
could be affected by individual shorts. What you have to remember, is that
it is irrelevant what *actual* potentials the individual electrodes are
connected to, as long as the correct *differentials* are maintained. Hence,
if the gun requires the grid to be say -40v to achieve cut-off, it doesn't
matter whether the cathode is at +40v and the grid at ground, or the grid at
+20v and the cathode at +60v, the differential of -40v is maintained, and
the bias conditions remain the same.

You questioned earlier what constituted a "firm rap". I really can't tell
you in terms of anything that you could take as 'definitive instructions'.
It's just one of those things that's a 'feel' that you gain over years of
doing it. When I was directly involved with CRT equipment repairs, it was
something you 'just did' on a daily basis, and you never actually broke a
neck as a result ... Let's say that if you rap your fingertips on the bench
just hard enough to get that sort of 'buzz' in them immediately after,
that's probably about the most force that you want to be hitting the neck
with. I would normally be using an old box spanner that I have, which has a
wooden handle, and is a bit 'kinder' to the glass. As far as putting the
monitor on its side or upside down when you do it, it's just a case of
propping or holding it in position whilst you do it. It sometimes allows
particles to dislodge under the effects of gravity coming at them from a
different direction.

Other than this, use the capacitor discharge method to try and vapourise the
particles. You might want to try this with the heater on, as you say that
the resistance of the short goes down as the heater warms up. This is
probably because the particle(s) causing the short get 'squeezed' tighter in
the k-g1 gap, as the cathode cylinder expands. A better contact between the
two electrodes, via the contamination, is likely to result in a higher
discharge current from the cap, and a better chance of vapourising the
material, rather than just dislodging it.

Arfa

Thanks for your elaborate response.

I just had a revelation today, which also sheds light not only on this issue,
but also with earlier issues I had with this monitor; that being that it
turned brighter and brighter over time, resulting in a very washed out picture
with visible retrace lines, when at default settings. The OSD menu allowed me
to decrease cut-off and gain, but at some point that wasn't enough anymore,
and I needed to decrease G2 value on the flyback. And now I think I know
what's going on.

I think a leakage path between the cathodes and G1 has slowly been forming,
which slowly increased beam current over the years, and therefore brightness.
Now, I'm at a point where there is not just leakage, but a dead short now and
again. Tapping therefore, will not solve the issue.

Another problem I had, was that the automatic color calibrator didn't correct
for the washed out picture. And I suspect that is because the cathodes pulled
the extra current directly from ground, and therefore the circuit which
measures the beam current was oblivious to it. However, this is just
speculation.

I think I will need a proper CRT rejuvenator to clear the leakage path between
cathode and G1. I could do it myself, by using the G2 voltage for example, but
googling reveals that modern CRTs are too fragile for this, and that
professional rejuvenators are matched precisely for modern tubes.

It also appears that cathode-G1 shorts are one of the easier things to fix, so
I think I can still avoid buying a TFT . The only thing is, that it would be
better to let a professional servicer do it, but I dread the likely outcome of
it coming back with a calibration that is way off.