Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder Dick Snyder is offline

Default The quest for a perfect miter joint

"Keith nuttle" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
. ..
I am making a set of three stacking tables. Each table will have a 2
1/2" wide piece of mahogany to trim the center rectangle of curly maple
(still deciding on the center). I got my technique down to get nearly
perfect miter cuts on my SCMS but the saw makes a slighly rough end cut
that I would like to be able to smooth off to get the best possible fit.

I tried to clean up the cuts with the sanding disk part of my
combination sanding disk/belt sander. It is a Ryobi I got for $99 at
Home Depot a couple of years ago on sale. Well, now I know why it was
only $99. I could never get the thing to sand the cut perfectly smooth.
No matter how I fiddled around with the (very cheap) miter gauge on the
sanding disk, it always sanded one end of the cut more than the other so
I got a slightly rounded surface. I guess $99 was TOO much to pay or
more realistically, I shouldn't have gotten it just because it was
cheap.

The cuts aren't bad but I can't think of any way to sand the rough ends
of the cut to get an even better fit. Have any of you solved this
problem?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies as always. This group is the BEST.

Based on your replies I have decided to buy a better blade for my SCMS (I
will order it today) - I am getting the Forrest Chopmaster as I have had
such great results with the Forrest Woodworker II on my table saw. I am
also going to make a sled with a stop block based on the picture I saw on
Karl's website. This will give me a couple of choices for how to do my
work in the future. I will finish my current project with the new blade.
I have some other stuff to do while I wait for the Forrest blade to show
up.

Dick

I have found that I can get exact lengths on the opposite sides by
fastening the opposite sides together and trimming both ends.

I uses a triangle miter gauge for the cuts and a staple gun to fasten the
opposite sides together. I cut one end of the two sides, reverse the
triangle miter gauge on the table and cut the other end.

In essences the you are cutting the miters on both sides of the square.

--
Keith Nuttle
3110 Marquette Court

Keith,

I have never heard of a triangle miter gauge. Do you mean a miter gauge set
to 45 degrees where you cut one side of the pair and then the other?

Dick